Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's like Christmas every 2 weeks.

I got my first produce box yesterday! All the items are so incredibly fresh - it's ridiculous how excited I am over a silly box of fruits and veggies. So here's what I got this week:


White Button Mushrooms (6 oz)
1 Butternut Squash (3lbs)
5 Red Jonagold Apples
4 Starkrimson Pears (There are only 3 in the picture - but I couldn't help myself - I ate one before I got home)
Red Potatoes (1.5 lbs) - the site said "Fingerling Potatoes"...but they don't look very fingerlingy to me. They're red and round.
1 Napa Cabbage
1 Bunch Lacinato/Dino Kale
3 Stalks Baby Bok Choy (1lb)
1 Bunch Arugula
1 Green Leaf Lettuce Head

Cayenne Peppers (.5 lb)

The pears - absolutely delicious, perfectly ripe. I could make poached pears - but I think I'll have to save that for when I have company. (Anyone coming over for dinner anytime soon?) The apples - crisp and sweet. Now, with apples, fuji's are my absolute favorite, but I think these come pretty darn close. They aren't sandy in texture nor are they too bland/sweet/tart. What else would you want in an apple?

The Cayenne Peppers (yes, I have to start a whole new paragraph for these babies)...the cayenne peppers are HOT - and there are a LOT of them. So many - I have no clue what to do with them. Since I have my box delivered to my office, my boss, John, decided to be the brave one. He broke one in half and took a tiny bite out of it - I think it almost burned his tongue off. I put my tongue to the other half of the pepper and I now think John is practically superman 'cuz he survived a whole bite, chew and swallowing of it. So - what to do with these babies? Chili Herbed Oil, perhaps? Merry Christmas, my friends, here's a bottle of chili oil, from my heart to yours.

No comments: